At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the
computer industry with the auto industry and stated, "If GM had kept up
with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving
twenty-five dollar cars that got 1,000 miles per gallon."
Recently General Motors addressed this comment by releasing the statement,
"Yes, but would you want your car to crash twice a day?"
IF MICROSOFT BUILT CARS...
- A particular model year of car wouldn't be available until AFTER
that year, instead of before.
- You would be constantly pressured to upgrade your car. (Wait a
second -- it's that way NOW!)
- Sun Motorsystems would make a car that was solar powered, twice
as reliable, 5 times as fast, but only ran on 5% of the roads.
- People would get excited about the "new" features in Microsoft
cars, forgetting completely that they had been available in other
brands for years.
- We'd all have to switch to Microsoft Gas®.
- The US government would be GETTING subsidies from an
automaker, instead of giving them.
- Ford, General Motors and Chrysler would all be complaining
because Microsoft was putting a radio in all its models.
- Every time they repainted the lines on the road you would
have to buy a new car.
- Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no
reason, and you would just accept this, restart and drive on.
- Occasionally, executing a maneuver would cause your car to
stop and fail and you would have to reinstall the engine. For
some strange reason, you would accept this too.
- You could only have one person in the car at a time,
unless you bought "Car95" or "CarNT". But, then you would have to
buy more seats.
- Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun,
was reliable, five times as fast, twice as easy to drive - but
would only run on 5 percent of the roads.
- The Macintosh car owners would get expensive Microsoft
upgrades to their cars, which would make their cars run much slower.
- The oil, gas and alternator warning lights would be
replaced by a single "general car default" warning light.
- New seats would force everyone to have the same size butt.
- The air bag system would say "Are you sure?" before going off.
- If you were involved in a crash, you would have no idea