THE RULES LISTED BELOW APPLY TO THE CALLING OF SHOTGUN (THE PASSENGER SEAT) IN
AN AUTOMOBILE. THESE RULES ARE DEFINITIVE AND BINDING.
- The Basic Rules
- In order to call Shotgun, the caller must pronounce the word "Shotgun"
long as the driver verifies the call.
- Shotgun may only be called if all occupants of the vehicle are
outside and on the way to said vehicle.
- Early calls are strictly prohibited. Shotgun may only be called while
walking toward the vehicle and only applies to the drive immediately
forthcoming. Shotgun can never be called while inside a vehicle or still
technically on the way to the first location. For example, one can not
get out of a vehicle and call Shotgun for the return journey.
- The driver has final say in all ties and disputes. The driver has the
right to suspend or remove all Shotgun privileges from one or more
- Special Cases
These special exceptions to the rules above should be considered in the order
presented; the case listed first will take precendence over any of the
cases beneath it, when applicable.
- In the instance that the normal driver of a vehicle is drunk or
otherwise unable to perform their duties as driver, then he/she is
automatically given Shotgun.
- If the instance that the person who actually owns the vehicle is not
driving, then he/she is automatically given Shotgun, unless they
- In the instance the the driver's spouse, lover, partner, or hired
prostitute for the evening is going to accompany the group, he/she is
automatically given Shotgun, unless they decline.
- In the instance that one of the passengers may become so ill during
the course of the journey that the other occupants feel he/she will toss
their cookies, then the ill person should be given Shotgun to make
appropriate use of the window.
- In the instance that only one person knows how to get to a given
location and this person is not the driver, then as the designated
navigator for the group they automatically get Shotgun, unless they
- In the instance that one of the occupants is too wide or tall to fit
comfortably in the back seat, then the driver may show mercy and award
Shotgun to the genetic misfit. Alternatively, the driver and other
passengers may continually taunt the poor fellow as they make a three
hour trip with him crammed in the back.
- The Bastard Rules *
- If the driver so wishes, he/she may institute the Bastard Rules on the
process of calling Shotgun. In this case all rules, excepting
Rule I.4, are
suspended and the passenger seat is occupied by whomever can take it by
- The driver must announce the institution of the Bastard Rules with
reasonable warning to all passengers. This clause reduces the amount of
blood lost by passengers and the damage done to the vehicle.